Some cultural insight

Sorry that it's been so long since I blogged. I thought that I would show some photos from a wedding that I went to just this past Friday night.

This gentleman is a teacher with Reggie at school and he fell in love with a Filipina, so they got married.

I would like to share the wedding aspect and the things that are different in Filipino weddings. Although I would like to mention that possibly a completely Filipino wedding would be even more different.

One issue is that it is required that the Filipino couple have sponsors that give money to help support the wedding and the marriage. The word in Cebuano for sponsor is the same 'luhod' for both sponsor and to kneel.

So there were tons of people who were sponsors and got flowers and their names read off from the pulpit. There was a veil sponsor and a cord sponsor just to name a few. The things that were different. Is that He gave her a Bible (that he's supposed to lead daily devotion with) a bag of coins (representing that his material wealth is also hers now) The veil represents the covering of their relationship by the Lord and the cord represents the love of God binding them together as husband and wife.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing. I love learning about the culture there.

Popular Posts