Grandma McBride

 It's been awhile since I've posted. I've been traveling. I left the house in Davao Sunday morning at around 3 am.  I finally arrived in Chicago 26 hours later at 4pm US time.  My cousins Josh and Darin were already there.  We took a shuttle to the hotel and stayed there for the night.  Then my cousin Sam arrived in his car and we all drove out to Iowa for grandma's visitation that night.  It was both hard and good to see grandma.  Life is temporary and fleeting but she was 94 years old.  Tuesday morning was the memorial service.  She donated her body to science so the family will have to wait awhile for her ashes.

We all spent time enjoying each other and hearing stories about each of our lives since childhood and all of our adventures in life, travel and family.  But we also talked about grandma. Her perpetual frown and occasional laugh. Her reluctance to display affection and her opinionated ramblings.  But no matter what was said, we all remember her fondly.  And we will all miss her.

But then once all the events were done and evening settled we had the best cousin time in years. I sat and laughed and talked in a big circle and it was so fun! A memory I will treasure for the rest of my life. We all are so spread out around the world and the USA that we don't get together very often.

But even that time ended and we said tearful goodbyes.  Mom, Dad and I left just before 5 am and drove from IA back to TX. What a long day! But I had so much fun laughing and joking with them. And now I'm giving my back a rest but Mom and I are sorting through grandma's embroidery thread. It is bittersweet. The last of her beautiful projects is done. Any more great grandchildren won't get a quilt from her. There's sadness there for me.  But she left a legacy and passed that torch on. The gift of faith and hope lives on. And we can teach and give and love.

And I'm so thankful for my family!

Comments

Sarah said…
I'm so glad you got to go home for the funeral and that you have had some good family time.
Anonymous said…
Nice tribute to your grandma. ☺
pp

Popular Posts