A fire in the Albrook Mall, Panama



I got an email from a friend of mine from Panama today and she told me a hilarious story that I thought I would share with you. You can check on this story by going to www.prensa.com if you'd like but you need to be able to read Spanish to get the gist of the story. But here's what happened I guess.

Sometime yesterday a fire began in the storage area of a store called Conway which is in the Albrook mall. (That's the mall we ate at a lot and where we rode the carousel with the girls from previous blog posts.) Well, since the mall security didn't want to frighten the people, they kept letting people go into the burning mall. This is where my friend Debbie comes in. She needed to buy fabric so she went into the burning mall, purchased her fabric and left about the time that they began escorting people out of the mall. How crazy is that, the mall is on fire, and you still let people go in. It took the firemen about 10 hours to get the fire out. Nobody was hurt although 12 are being treated for smoke inhalation. Another thing they mentioned is that there isn't any noisy alarm system set up to let people know to leave and that the mall is unprepared for emergencies. Sad huh? but funny!!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yeah we heard about the fire. On the day it happened we drove over and saw all the smoke. The fire was only in Conway, and only in the storage rooms. I think they are reopening soon.

Laura Mortensen

Popular Posts