Natural Disasters

We've gotten a few emails from concerned people wondering if we are okay from the recent disasters in our area of the world. I thought I'd put your minds at ease and let you know that we are fine!

The first disaster is the tropical storm that hit Manila on Saturday and dumped something like 16 inches of rain in 24 hours. (funny cause we heard here that it was 30in in 6 hours. BIG difference) But we live on the southernmost large island and Manila is on the northernmost island. We will sometimes get some strange weather from the typhoons and tropical storms but Davao is not typically hit by any storms like that. The whole country is working on relief though and we are all praying quite a bit since this storm really has devastated a lot of the capital!

But even having said that, the spirit of the Filipino people is amazing. We received an email from our sister school in Manila saying that the school is closed and hopes to reopen on Oct 1 but that the attitudes of the people are amazing. One staff member at the school when responding to questions of safety responded with, "We are fine sir. Our appliances are floating around the house downstairs. I went to my sisters place and it was the same. The good thing is, there are plenty of fish to catch!"

The second disaster is the earthquake near American Samoa and the Tsunami alert. It did occur in the middle of the night for us so we weren't aware that anything had happened and we didn't feel anything here (although I'm not sure we should have since we are quite far away). They have since canceled the Tsunami alert and I don't know if the ocean has been affected here since we don't live super super close to the ocean. Although I say that, we are a whole lot closer to it here than we were when we lived in OK.

Thanks for your prayers and your concerns. We appreciate all the love and support. We are still alive and kicking!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Is it you or the baby that is kicking?

So glad to hear you are all fine!!!
Anonymous said…
Glad you're all safe!
Pat

Popular Posts