Typhoon Washi
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45705894/ns/weather/#.Tu0xNZi2QUV
That's the link to an article about Typhoon Washi that just passed us by.
We'd had a number of rainy cool days which is a blessing! But rain during the day isn't a super common occurrence here. Most often it rains during the night. But the day-time rain was associated with the hurricane that came through on Friday night.
This is a radar photo I borrowed from the NASA website. I put an arrow where we live. The center of the typhoon hit north of us but they are saying there are 440 confirmed deaths and a possible 200 more that are unaccounted for.
I actually knew this typhoon was coming the day before, so how were the people surprised. Well, for one thing, there isn't really a weather channel here. I know that seems strange to people back home where you can't know what to wear without first consulting a weather man. But here when your weekly forecast looks like this: (this week's forecast)
Why would you need a weatherman to tell you what the weather will be like? So nobody got the word, but the other thing is that the houses along the coast look like this:
That's the link to an article about Typhoon Washi that just passed us by.
We'd had a number of rainy cool days which is a blessing! But rain during the day isn't a super common occurrence here. Most often it rains during the night. But the day-time rain was associated with the hurricane that came through on Friday night.
This is a radar photo I borrowed from the NASA website. I put an arrow where we live. The center of the typhoon hit north of us but they are saying there are 440 confirmed deaths and a possible 200 more that are unaccounted for.
I actually knew this typhoon was coming the day before, so how were the people surprised. Well, for one thing, there isn't really a weather channel here. I know that seems strange to people back home where you can't know what to wear without first consulting a weather man. But here when your weekly forecast looks like this: (this week's forecast)
Why would you need a weatherman to tell you what the weather will be like? So nobody got the word, but the other thing is that the houses along the coast look like this:
It's no wonder that so many people were killed. Any random high wave could do serious damage, let alone 9 to 11 foot swells that came with this typhoon. Please pray for the people of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan as they try to search for survivors, clean up and build again.
Thanks for praying for us too! We managed to weather this typhoon with only laundry that didn't dry for 2 days and 2 days without internet. We have much to be thankful for!!





Comments