What we ate while at Bankerohan
They also sell ready to eat street food at Bankerohan so we decided to photograph our journey
These were just fried bananas. They were pretty good and very sweet, not strange at all!!
But this was the balut stand! Balut is a fertilized egg that is grown for certain lengths of time and then hardboiled and sold to be eaten.
This is a duck egg which is the most common. This particular one is called Pinoy Balut (Pinoy is the vernacular of Fililpino). This duck egg was only incubated for 4 days before it was hardboiled so the duck inside is very small.
This is our friend's husband eating it. The surprising thing was that there was no white, the yolk was very large!
And yes I did try a bite, well a nibble really. Ok not really even enough to hardly taste it, but I did put it in my mouth. The egg is warm and the juice needs to be drunk from the egg first. I have heard it tastes a bit like chicken soup.
This is a chicken egg that has been incubated something like 14 days. I'm not positive so don't quote me on that but there was no white or yolk and it was almost black.
The chick inside is fully formed and has feathers. Even our friend wouldn't eat this one. We asked the stand owner and she said she doesn't like these either and most people don't buy them but some people do indeed like them. Another fact, you never eat balut during the day, ONLY at night. Maybe because you can't handle the thought of what you are actually eating!
The last thing we ate before we headed home was the thing on the right in the picture above. Any guesses?
Yes that's right, it's chicken intestines. They are washed off but not cleaned out. So yes they are full of whatever the chicken's last meal was or excrement depending on your view. They grill them and put sauce on them and people love them here. I on the other hand, DID NOT enjoy this. It was hard to bite a bit off and I really didn't want the entire thing in my mouth, it was hard to chew up and it tasted bad. So next time I'll pass on this one, been there done that!!
And thankfully we had a coke to go- yes that is a coke in a bag, and thankfully we had it to wash everything down. Because lets be honest, I didn't want the chicken intestine or hardboiled baby duck taste in my mouth any longer than necessary!












Comments
jm