Day 2 Save the Turtles!

On our second day we went to the beach. I felt like it turned out better then I thought it would. I am not a save the turtle kind of guy but it was really neat to see these tiny little turtles fighting their way into the ocean. And the sunset was beautiful.








Here we are all in a line letting our turtles go into the ocean. 1 turtle will come and lay about 100 eggs and then go back to sea for 2 weeks, come back and lay 100 more. They say about 1 percent of turtles will survive to egg laying age at 25. They will return to same the same beach.












Every morning and evening the employees will walk the beach watching for turtles to lay eggs, when they do, they will collect them and bring them here for safe keeping. One interesting fact if the sand is hot more of the turtles will be male, if the sand is cool more turtles will be female, I think that was the right way. So here they had half the area shaded to keep the boy to girl ratio as equal as they can.
Part of the time we spent studding the turtles so students held, measured, observed, and tormented the turtles before releasing them.

Comments

Popular Posts