Happy Thanksgiving
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you back home. It's over for us already. We enjoyed the evening with friends after school was over and tried to maintain a somewhat decent bedtime in preparation for school again on Friday.
But this year I miss my family more than most. I wanna eat my mom's pie's not mine. I wanna snuggle under a quilt she made with love while we watch our traditional Christmas movie, I don't wanna be fighting to hear the tv over the fan and the jeepneys and the construction across the street, the airplanes landing and the roosters . . .
I know this sounds negative and really we love it here, I am not discontent with my life here, it's just that right now I miss my family. We should be decorating for Christmas today (Friday) but it will wait for Saturday. One thing Reggie's family has taught me is that holidays are not just about the date but more about who you are with. So this year, more than others past, I find myself wanting to create traditions for my girls about what makes a holiday special.
And I am thankful.
I am thankful for my wonderful husband who loves me regardless of my flaws, who picks up the slack when I cannot carry my load. Who gently points me in a better direction than the one I am headed, who challenges me to be better and needs me to be his helpmate. I am better because of you.
I am thankful for my Marcela. I am thankful for her strength and her spirit. I am thankful for the joy and energy that she attacks life.
I am thankful for my Harmony. I am thankful for her sweetness and her compassion. I am thankful for her willingness to help others and to see the need before it is expressed.
I am thankful for my Lillian. I am thankful for her presence in our family, she was not planned for but so desired! Her joy and affection for her sisters is a treasure to me. I am thankful for her sweet smell and her love of hugs! Happy first thanksgiving!
And mostly I am thankful for God. He enables me to choose thankfulness when the days feel less than great. (which have been a lot lately). I am thankful for the generosity that He bestows on us. We have food to eat and clothes to wear. We have love to share. Lord help me to remember to be thankful in ALL things, not just the things I wanted. And help me to give with thankfulness of the abundance that you have give to me, and help me to love those I meet not just tolerate or dismiss them. And help me to teach these virtues to my children in both word AND in deed.
But this year I miss my family more than most. I wanna eat my mom's pie's not mine. I wanna snuggle under a quilt she made with love while we watch our traditional Christmas movie, I don't wanna be fighting to hear the tv over the fan and the jeepneys and the construction across the street, the airplanes landing and the roosters . . .
I know this sounds negative and really we love it here, I am not discontent with my life here, it's just that right now I miss my family. We should be decorating for Christmas today (Friday) but it will wait for Saturday. One thing Reggie's family has taught me is that holidays are not just about the date but more about who you are with. So this year, more than others past, I find myself wanting to create traditions for my girls about what makes a holiday special.
And I am thankful.
I am thankful for my wonderful husband who loves me regardless of my flaws, who picks up the slack when I cannot carry my load. Who gently points me in a better direction than the one I am headed, who challenges me to be better and needs me to be his helpmate. I am better because of you.
I am thankful for my Marcela. I am thankful for her strength and her spirit. I am thankful for the joy and energy that she attacks life.
I am thankful for my Harmony. I am thankful for her sweetness and her compassion. I am thankful for her willingness to help others and to see the need before it is expressed.
I am thankful for my Lillian. I am thankful for her presence in our family, she was not planned for but so desired! Her joy and affection for her sisters is a treasure to me. I am thankful for her sweet smell and her love of hugs! Happy first thanksgiving!
And mostly I am thankful for God. He enables me to choose thankfulness when the days feel less than great. (which have been a lot lately). I am thankful for the generosity that He bestows on us. We have food to eat and clothes to wear. We have love to share. Lord help me to remember to be thankful in ALL things, not just the things I wanted. And help me to give with thankfulness of the abundance that you have give to me, and help me to love those I meet not just tolerate or dismiss them. And help me to teach these virtues to my children in both word AND in deed.


Comments
It is so much fun to hear about the traditions you are starting as a family. I'll look forward to the girls telling me all about it.
Thanks for calling today. I love you bunches!!!!!
M
Grace and Peace,
pp
Have tons of fun with your family. I am currently making a new tradition for my girls - an advent calendar like we had when we were little (hope it's done by the 1st)!
AF